Heritage Day aka Braai Day is always a big deal in our house. Besides the fact that I am fiercely patriotic, who doesn’t enjoy a Public Holiday that encourages you to jol with your mates? To ensure everybody gets it right tomorrow, here are a list of top braai tips from the BRAAI MASTER himself, Jan Braai:
1. Nothing beats a wood fire.
2. Gas is Afrikaans for a guest at your braai, not something you braai with.
3. Braaiing is a fat-negative way of cooking food. When you braai, fat drips out.
4. Avoid using indigenous wood. Alien plants drink lots of water. Besides, it feels good burning Australian rubbish.
5. Braaiing is a direct form of energy use, from the coals to your meat. With electricity there’s spillage between the power plant and the pan. Braai if you love the Earth.
6. Have enough ice to cool beer and treat burn wounds.
7. Smoke tends to go towards attractive people, so send them to the kitchen to make salad.
8. Animals eat grass and veggies all their lives. Eating meat is like taking vitamins.
9. A cow must be killed only once. Don’t braai steak until the flavour is dead.
10. A braaibroodjie is your chance to have your bread buttered on both sides.